Space heater causes $40,000 damage to home

( Jan 15, 2018 - Kingston, ON ) Kingston Fire and Rescue responded to a structure fire at Walden Gate shortly after 3 a.m. on Monday morning after residents were alerted to the danger by a smoke detector in their bedroom and noticed a slight smell of smoke. 

The residents called 911 and exited the home until KFR arrived. Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames and the fire was confined to the garage of the home. After knocking down the fire, firefighters used positive pressure to remove smoke from the home. The cause of the fire has been determined to be a space heater in the garage. Damage is estimated at $40,000.